The “75th Golden Globes” went down last night and as expected, women were at the forefront, since this was the first major award show since last year’s sexual harassment scandals and the #MeToo movement.
Here are some takeaways from the show:
1. The biggest winners were “Big Little Lies” and the movie “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”, which both scored four awards.
2. Seth Myers had one joke that no one knew how to react to. It was when he joked about Harvey Weinstein’s future death. He said, quote, “Harvey Weinstein isn’t here tonight because, well, I’ve heard rumors that he’s crazy and difficult to work with.Don’t worry, he’ll be back in 20 years when he’s the first person ever booed during the In Memoriam.” That drew some gasps, and Seth added, “It’ll sound like that.”
3. When James Franco won Best Comedic Actor for “The Disaster Artist”, he brought the real life disaster artist Tommy Wiseau onto the stage. But he blocked Tommy when he went to grab the mic. Check it out:
4. As for Oprah, she delivered a very powerful acceptance speech when she became the first black woman to ever receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award. It was about nine minutes long, and it touched on everything from race to gender inequality to justice. She got a couple standing ovations.
5. Natalie Portman brought the heat while presenting the Best Director award by saying ‘And here are the all male nominees’
— UPROXX (@UPROXX) January 8, 2018