A woman who was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease wasn’t responding to treatment to relieve her intense pain, so doctors did an operation to find out why.
It turns out there was a plastic ketchup packet stuck in her small intestine for six years.
Surgeons did an operation to find out why none of the standard treatments for Crohn’s were working. The 41-year-old woman in Great Britain had all the symptoms of the chronic bowel disease including abdominal pain and bloating, but the intense pain wouldn’t let up.
Once the surgeons started to relieve the inflammation in the woman’s intestine, they found two pieces of plastic with the word ‘Heinz’ on them. The woman had somehow swallowed a ketchup wrapper that lodged in her small intestine. The packet had actually cut into her stomach, which caused the Crohn’s-like symptoms.
The woman says she has no memory of using a ketchup packet and can’t remember a meal where she may have accidentally swallowed one.